The California-based tech company Apple is a pioneer in the global tablet market. Much of the growth and success of tablets in the consumer market is attributed to Apple’s introduction of the iPad in 2010. Since this initial introduction, the iPad has become a consistent earner for the company, regularly accounting for tens of billions of dollars in revenue, and serving as a relatively small yet stable percentage of overall earnings. Apple’s iOS operating system powers nearly 80 percent of all tablets in the United States, with its biggest competitor, Android, controlling most of the remaining 20 percent of the market. Overall, around 48 percent of tablet-using households in the U.S. reported ownership of Apple tablet products.
In terms of usage, tablets have an average session duration of around 7.5 minutes, which lies just between the average session durations for smartphones and PCs, again demonstrating the device's unique niche in the consumer electronics market. Given the increasing prevalence of Internet of Things and connected devices in general, tablets are increasingly used to control other smart home products and smart devices. In addition, the generally low cost of tablet devices, they also tend to have a relatively long lifespan of between six and seven years, partially thanks to continuous software development and updating.